Agenda and minutes

Cabinet Planning and Parking Panel
Thursday 4th June 2020 7.30 pm

Contact: Gurdip Paddan 

Media

Items
No. Item

63.

MINUTES

To confirm as a correct record the Minutes of the meeting held on 29 January 2020 (previously circulated).

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Minutes of the meeting held on 29 January 2020 were approved as a correct record and signed by the Chairman.

 

64.

NOTIFICATION OR URGENT BUSINESS TO BE CONSIDERED UNDER ITEM 10

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Chairman agreed to an update on the Local Plan from the Head of Planning, as an urgent business.  It was agreed that this item (item 10 on the agenda) be brought forward.

65.

SUCH OTHER BUSINESS AS, IN THE OPINION OF THE CHAIRMAN, IS OF SUFFICIENT URGENCY TO WARRANT IMMEDIATE CONSIDERATION

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Head of Planning provided a brief update on the Local Plan. This Panel and subsequently the Cabinet debated the reports on the Local Plan together with additional sites and options in January 2020. The update included the following:

 

·         Consultation on new options took place in Jan 2020, which totalled just over 14,000 houses. This included some new sites around some villages.  It included site known as PB1, east of Potters Bar.  Officers are engaging with Herts CC on its promotion.

 

·         Consultation period was extended by one month to May 2020 due to the Coronavirus pandemic.

 

·         Following the consultation, 780 representations had been made and these were now being analysed by Officers and a report will be presented in due course.

 

·         Consultation document sought views on removal of Symondshyde village together with the assumption of 949 extra brownfield units; and in this regard Wheat Quarter site may have capacity for additional homes.

 

·         Following hearing sessions in March 2020 the Inspector has raised concerns about noise and visual impact in respect of Birchall Garden Suburb southern site and transport sustainability in respect of Symondshyde.

 

·         Talks are being held with the Inspector in respect of the scheduled July hearings due to the social distancing Government advice; whether it would be possible for virtual hearings, use of Council Chamber or alternative venue where social distancing recommendations could be implemented or defer the hearings. If a meeting does take place the Inspector in essence would have the information and would write an interim report.  An interim report will show whether the sites highlighted would be sufficient or would there be a need for additional sites for deliberation.

 

·         There had been some concern raised about housing needs, this being associated with population projection figures being lower than the previous years – for nearer the end of the Plan in the 2030s. The Officer explained the situation and that Turley Consultants would be asked to look into these figures and produce an update study for the Inspector to take into account. The information would be presented to a future meeting of this Panel.

 

·         New household projections will be published on 29 June 2020. Council will wait until 29 June and then consult with Turley Consultants to judge whether an update of the OAN objective assessment of housing need would be appropriate and whether they can take account of the implications of Brexit and the Coronavirus pandemic in terms of likely population growth and housing need.

 

·         The Panel will be updated on the housing need. If the July hearing sessions are held then the Inspector’s interim report will also be presented to enable the Panel to have a final conversation on whether to accept the Plan as it stands or whether to select additional sites.

 

·         A question was raised in respect of the timescales for Turley to be engaged before 29 June 2020. Members felt it would be ideal if the inspector could have this information for the July hearing sessions.  The Officer advised that officers would  ...  view the full minutes text for item 65.

66.

DECLARATION OF INTERESTS BY MEMBERS

To note declarations of Members’ disclosable pecuniary interests, non-disclosable pecuniary interests and non-pecuniary interests in respect of items on this Agenda.

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Councillors S. Boulton and P. Zukowskyj declared a non-pecuniary interest in items on the agenda as appropriate by virtue of being Members of Hertfordshire County Council.

 

67.

PUBLIC QUESTION TIME AND PETITIONS

Up to thirty minutes will be made available for questions from members of the public on issues relating to the work of the Committee and to receive any petitions.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The following question was received and the Chairman responded:

 

Question from Mr P. Wrenn

 

Due to the present Coronavirus pandemic and the dramatic effect it is having on retail sales throughout the country would it not seem sensible for the CPPP Panel to seriously consider delaying the proposed Parking Zones Order until a later date when hopefully the country has returned to a more stable environmental and financial state?

 

Response

 

The Council carried out a comprehensive consultation with almost 2000 residents for over 18 months, which has produced the recommendations included in the Handside report.

 

Whilst we recognise we are living in extraordinary times, the recommended restrictions would not be in place until September at the earliest. This is when we expect most businesses and schools to reopen as normal, putting it in the best interest of local residents to move forward with our proposals.

68.

PARKING SERVICES UPDATE ON IMPROVEMENT PROGRAMME 2019-2020 pdf icon PDF 175 KB

Report of the Corporate Director (Resources, Environment and Cultural Services), which provides an update on the Parking Services improvement programme 2019-2020.

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Members considered the report of the Corporate Director (Resources, Environment and Cultural Services) on Parking Services, which provided an update on the improvement programme for 2019-20.

 

The report noted that throughout the year, the Council received many requests for parking restrictions and parking improvements via several channels.   The Council has to manage the public’s request and expectations. Producing a yearly work programme, which covers both parking restrictions and parking improvements, helps the Council to achieve this.  It is important for the Council to ensure a consistent programmed approach, as it assists in the efficient management of Traffic Regulation Order (TROs) work and providing transparency to the public.

 

Any objections received by the Council in response to the statutory consultation are considered by this Panel. However, occasionally there are no objections received, when this happens the Traffic Regulation Order can be approved using Officer’s delegated powers.

 

The Officer advised that 98 additional parking spaces had been created.  The cost per parking was around £2609.  The Parking Team work on a number of requests within the work programme and sometimes outside of the work programme.  The Team have highlighted a scheme which the Team had managed to obtain a design and technical approval for; Great Break, Welwyn Garden City (Appendix B).  The project will cost £57,000 and there is £50,000 allocated for a parking scheme as a one-off sum for this financial year.

 

A discussion took place regarding an incident in which emergency vehicles were unable to access Great Break earlier this year, due to the width of the road and vehicles parked on either side.

 

Some concern was expressed in terms of not considering other schemes/areas that need updating, providing parking, footways and improvement.  A question was raised as where the additional £7,000 would be made available from, and would this endanger any other schemes within the current work programme?  Following a discussion, it was noted that £7,000 would be utilised from the work programme budget.

 

As there was not an equivalent scheme available at present it was felt that Great Break should proceed.

 

A vote was taken whether to spend the money on Great Break or to wait and consider all other scheme. Vote: (7 for Great Break, 4 for consideration of all schemes), Great Break carried.

 

RESOLVED:

 

1.            The Panel notes the update on the current Parking Services Improvement Programme 2019-2020 (Appendix A).

2.            The Panel recommends to Cabinet that £57,000 of the Parking Improvement budget is spent on a location outside of the Parking Services Work Programme and it will be spent on Great Break in Panshanger.

 

69.

PARKING SERVICES ANNUAL REPORT 2018-19 pdf icon PDF 163 KB

Report of the Corporate Director (Resources, Environment and Cultural Services) on the Parking Services Annual Report 2018-2019.

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Members considered the report of the Corporate Director (Resources, Environment and Cultural Services) on Parking Services Annual Report 2018-19.  The report noted that in 2009, the Parking and Traffic Regulation Outside London (PATROL)Annual Report Award was launched to promote and share best practice amongst councils in the production of parking annual reports. The Traffic Management Act 2004 came into force on 31 March 2008. With this came the expectation that local authorities would produce an annual report about their civil enforcement activities. The PATROL Joint Committee recognises the importance of public information and commissioned the PATROL website to provide information on the civil enforcement process. This will be the first time the Council has entered its Parking Services Annual Report for the PATROL Annual Report Award.

A question was raised in respect of the penalty charge notices (PCN) issued as shown in the report’s table.  The Officer explained the number of PCNs issued in Hatfield was higher, as the area in question, was in close proximity to the train station and Hatfield town centre, and so these areas see more PCNs being issued compared to areas such as Lemsford, Northaw and The Ayots which have very few restrictions in place, mainly double yellow lines at junctions. 

It was noted that Salisbury Village parking scheme was halfway through the consultation process.  Peartree will follow once Old Hatfield and the rest of Handside has been completed.

A question was asked about the small number of doctors/Health Visitor permits which are issued each year. These permits cover ‘all zones’ and are used by doctors and health visitors when visiting clients who reside in residential area which are covered by a resident permit scheme. Officers advised the low numbers of issued permits could be due to this not impacting on many services, although this is likely to increase with the addition of new permit schemes which are still to be introduced. It was clarified that the report was available to the public on the website.

RESOLVED:

(Unanimous)

 

That the Panel notes the content of the Parking Services Annual Report 2018-2019.

 

70.

INTRODUCTION OF RESIDENT PERMIT PARKING SCHEMES, PARKING PLACES AND OTHER WAITING RESTRICTIONS, TOGETHER WITH A VERGE PROTECTION ORDER IN VARIOUS ROADS, HANDSIDE WARD, WELWYN GARDEN CITY pdf icon PDF 235 KB

Report of the Corporate Director (Resources, Environment and Cultural Services) which sets out the results of the informal consultation, the statutory consultation and the recommended course of action.

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Report of the Corporate Director (Resources, Environment and Cultural Services) on the introduction of resident permit parking schemes, parking places and other waiting restrictions, together with a verge protection order (VPO) in various roads, Handside Ward, Welwyn Garden City.

 

The report noted that In April 2018, the Council undertook a parking survey with residents and businesses in Handside, Welwyn Garden City. This followed on from work already completed in the Longcroft Lane and Parkway areas of the Ward. The scope of the survey took in all roads to the west of Parkway and extended south from Brockswood Lane to its boundary with Lemsford Lane. The purpose of the survey was to engage with residents and businesses in seeking their views on parking options for the area.

Responses were received and a number cited non-residential long stay parking e.g. commuters and local workers etc., as responsible for creating parking pressure in their roads. The parking survey form offered residents several options to choose from; including yellow line waiting restrictions and resident permit parking schemes. Also included was the option ‘Do Nothing’ – leave things as they are. Residents were also given the opportunity to determine on which days and times they would like their restrictions to operate. The survey returns indicated a particularly high demand for resident permit parking (RPPS) schemes in the Guessens and Stanborough areas. A number of other responses also specifically related to safety concerns around schools. As part of this survey, residents were also asked to provide details of where they thought additional parking provision might be provided.

 

Three schemes from the survey were progressed to the formal state.  A further two schemes have been added from other locations, to address issues, which became apparent during the monitoring period of previous schemes. The relocation and expansion of a general practice surgery to Birdcroft Road, and a request for additional junction protection in the Longcroft Green area have also been included in this Order.

 

Following discussions with Hertfordshire County Council, roads in which one or more sides do not have a footpath, parking will be permitted on the extended dropped kerb on the side in which there is no footpath. There are some in Handside, an example of this is Elmwood. Pedestrians can use dropped kerbs as another way of crossing from one side of the road to another. If there is no footpath, parking on the extended dropped kerbs would not deem to be obstructive to pedestrians. This is one of the main reasons for introducing a Verge Protection Order.

Members considered the problems highlighted within the six areas listed in the report and appendices attached; together with the objections received.

 

Members expressed concern in relation to the Birdcroft Road parking.  The Officer explained that there is an existing parking scheme in operation and that in October 2019 a letter was sent out to residents in Birdcroft Road, including St Bonaventure’s Church and Garden City GP practice proposing to insert two shared use parking bays in Birdcroft  ...  view the full minutes text for item 70.